We have had many people ask about making a donation to Mike and Carolyn

For anyone wanting to make a donation to Mike and Carolyn, you may go to any Frost Bank branch and tell them you would like to make a donation to the "Michael E. Fosdick and Carolyn Fosdick Benefit Account". Thank you to everyone who has donated.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Long Overdue Update

Well, I'm not sure how many people are still checking this blog but I thought I would post an update anyway. I have to confess that it has become increasingly more difficult to put what is happening into words; as evidenced by my lack of posting updates. I think we had all hoped that Carolyn and Mike would be well into the recovery process by now and that most of the hard part would be behind them. Even though Carolyn's degree of functioning can be seen as nothing less than a miracle, she still can do very little to care for herself and her level of ability to communicate has seemed to significantly slow it's progression.

Carolyn can still talk. She seems to still go through little "windows" of awareness. She will answer some questions but most of her answers aren't always appropriate to the question. We're still hoping and praying that those windows will become more frequent and become longer as well. The doctors say that she will probably do well. We just don't know how their definition of well compares to ours. I'll post an update with more updates when I receive them.

Mike has been through a lot the past few weeks. He had his neck surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago. The surgery went well even though I don't think he had as much of an immediate recovery of his range of motion as he had hoped. He will still need a great deal of physical therapy to regain his movement and strength. He was at Methodist hospital for about a week. He spent the following week at Healthsouth and was then discharged home. He had been home for about a week and was just admitted back to the hospital this last Monday. He has a kidney stone and upper respiratory infection. He has had a very rough time since he has been home and has needed and welcomed all of the help that he has received from friends and neighbors. He does not know how long he will be in the hospital but has been told by his doctor that he will have home health assistance once he gets discharged. Because of his surgery he is not supposed to drive for a couple of months and he shouldn't lift anything heavier than a milk carton for eight months. We hope that will get the treatment that he needs and regain his strength quickly.

There have been so many friends and neighbors to help (especially since Mike went home). We are extremely greatful for everything that has been done to help. None of us had any idea that this would be so hard. We are greatful for all of you that have tried to make it easier.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Thank you for the update. I understand that it is difficult to post along with sooo many things going on. We continue to keep them in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Yep, thanks for the update. As a neighbor of Mike's we get lots of questions from those who dont check the blog, so it's nice to have the correct info to pass along.-The Swynnertons

Anonymous said...

Thank you for updating the blog. I do check it. My 13 yo arranged for Carolyn to make a portrait of our 7 children for my Christmas present this year. Carolyn had regularly done school pictures for our home school group but I had not been organized enough to get my crew in. As a result I met Carolyn the Saturday before Christmas for the first time when she dropped the picture off at our house. The picture is in our entry way and some of our home school group knows the stories of the accident and my 13yo's present to me. When people come through my front door they see the picture and are reminded of your parents and to pray. I walk past it every time I walk into my school room and am reminded to pray.

kathi said...

Please keep the posts coming! (When you have time, of course.)
I used to be in Boerne 1st Ward and knew them very well. I now live in Colorado, and can't go see Mike and Carolyn as I would like to, so these posts are all that I have to find out how they are doing.
Thanks again for your time and effort here!
Kathleen Hillis

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Many people are praying for their complete recovery and the updates help us know what to pray for. Almost every professional picture in my home of my 3 daughters was done by Carolyn through all of their school years. They are not forgotten. Keep believing with God all things are possible. Lanni